Sunday, May 13, 2012

Service Learning

1. Log of hours: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B0szWSRNRgOPVnpQUi0wUlZ0S2c
My service learning instructor is named Cruz Vargas, and he can be contacted at 909-933-0820. The gist of what I did for service learning is that Cruz helped me understand music better, and then helped me apply that understanding into other areas of interest, music teaching being one of them. I was basically an apprentice, and I listened to what he had to say about musical instruction, theory and history. I also helped him plan out lessons for a group gathering of guitarists he hosted every Saturday, which I also attended.

2. The most important thing I gained from this experience was being able to understand music on a professional level. Because I want to go into music as a career, possibly even teaching it, I have to have a good understanding of how and why music works. My instructor was able to explain a lot, and always answered any questions I had about music, so I managed to learn a lot.

3. I told my instructor my EQ and the purpose of the project from the start, so he talked about things that would help me answer it, as well as answer any questions I came up with. When I helped him plan lessons, it helped me answer my EQ because I saw the thought process that went into teaching. When considering what was most important in teaching music, I thought heavily about what goes into the lesson itself. Seeing my instructor account for everything in his lessons, and also allowing me to suggest ways to change or improve that lesson really helped me develop answers to that EQ.

No comments:

Post a Comment