Monday, October 10, 2011

Defining the Essential Question

What is the most important thing in teaching music?

Teaching is a very complex thing to define, but what I want from my questions is that I want to know the most effective method in getting people to understand what I am trying to teach. Since I couldn't settle down on one single aspect of music to teach, I also added the broad term of music, so that what I teach can cover many subjects, such as theory, performance, composition, etc.

I think one possible answer so far would be 'hands-on' experience. In music especially, I've noticed that people will learn better, and generally have more fun, if they are able to experience music first hand.
Another possible answer could be to allow students to have their own pace. Music is something that is easier for some than others. I think if everyone could work at their own pace, they would see better progress than the pace you normally would take with any other class, usually the teacher's.

So far my most important source has been a site called musictheory.net made by Ricci Adams. It is a great tool for the aspiring music professional to begin learning their basic skills. It's the most impressive gateway I've seen for anyone wanting to learn about how music works in a more advanced level. The reason for it's importance is that I've obviously got to know all these things by heart if I ever hope to teach someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment